Kim Bum (김범) is one of South Korea’s rising hot, young stars. Born Kim Sang Bum (김상범) in 1989, he has been involved in a variety of successful dramas and movies, most notably his role as So Yi Jung (소이정) in the hit 2009 drama, Boys Before Flowers (꽃보다 男子).
Although still technically, a ‘rookie’, Bummie (as is fondly nicknamed by his fans and friends) has an impressive resume. He’s been involved in the following dramas and movies:
- 2006 – Unstoppable High Kick (as Kim Bum)
- 2006 – Outrageous Women (as Jeong Hyun Joon)
- 2007 – I Like it Hot (as Lee Ho Jae)
- 2008 – East of Eden (as young Lee Dong Chul)
- 2008 – Death Bell (as Kang Hyeon)
- 2009 – Boys Before Flowers (as So Yi Jung)
- 2009 – Dream (as Lee Jang Suk)
- 2009 – Emergency (as Shi Bum)
- 2010 – The Woman Who Still Wants to Get Married (as Hae Min Jae)
2009 was a busy (and very successful) year for Bummie, and he has shown no sign of stopping. He once jokingly remarked in an interview: I am a workaholic. And indeed he is. Due to constant, non-stop filming, Bummie fainted more than once on the set of his drama, Dream.
Kim Bum is also the male counterpart of the widely worshipped SoEul (or BumSso) couple alongside Boys Before Flowers’ co-star, Kim So Eun. The two’s onscreen chemistry inspired a large number of netizens to support the pairing, and they won the 2009 Arirang TV Showbiz Extra (1000th Episode) #1 Best Couple award.
Kim Bum has no small trophy case of awards. Apart from the one named above, he also won the 2007 M.net Summer break 20’s choice – Sexiest Award (together with 김혜성), the 2008 Korean Drama Festival: Netizen Popularity Award, and the 2009 SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Dream).
He has a lot of potential, and huge expectations. There’s no doubt that Kim Bum will become one of the greatest stars South Korea and Asia has ever seen.